In order to assist you with your decision on your new home, we are providing this list of the requirements we use to qualify applicants for residency. Nothing contained in these requirements shall constitute a representation that all residents and occupants currently residing in our community have met or currently meet these guidelines. The types of information to be accessed are identification, credit, public records, rental history, residency address information, employment, and income verification. Additional verification may be required. Each person age 18 or older who will live in the apartment home must submit an application and satisfy these requirements. Brumback Inc. does not accept comprehensive reusable tenant screening reports. Upon submission of the completed rental application and Resident Qualification Acknowledgment, a credit evaluation will be conducted using one of the consumer reporting agencies provided in this document. The criteria which may result in a denial (include but are not limited to): zero income or lower than 3 times the rental rate, unsatisfactory credit, or rental history findings, exceeding the maximum number of occupants per apartment home, restricted pets, inability to meet conditional requirements of application results, providing misleading or inaccurate information, and adverse, subpar, or unverified information. Subject to applicable laws, our requirements include, but are not limited to the following criteria:
Identification: Applicants must present a valid government-issued photo identification card for each person age 18 or older.
Rental History Criteria Examples:
Requirement: 12 months valid, verifiable rental (mortgage or military housing) history
• Valid rental history is a written lease or month-to-month agreement.
• If the rental history is less than 12 months, then an increased deposit or cosigner may be required. However, military housing is considered valid rental history.
• Paid (disclosed) eviction may result in Increased Deposit or Cosigner requirement.
• The final decision is also dependent on credit history, income, and length of employment.
• Past late payments, NSF checks.
• Unfulfilled lease obligations.
• Balance owing to a landlord (for rent or damages).
• Prior eviction(s).
• Falsification of the rental application.
• Negative rental history or negative reference
Income Criteria Example:
Requirement: Verifiable monthly (garnishable and non-garnishable), each applicant must demonstrate recurring income equal to or greater than 3 times the tenant’s portion of the monthly rental amount.
• Income that is 2.5 – 2.99 times the tenant’s portion of rental amount may require an increased deposit.
• Income that is less than 2.5 times the tenant’s portion of rental amount may require a guarantor/cosigner.
• Proof of income required prior to move in. Valid proof includes but is not limited to current paystubs, tax returns, W2's, I20's (International Students), Leave and Earning Statements (military), bank statements, payment assistance vouchers, or other verifiable documentation of rental assistance.
• Lack of proof of satisfactory income, misrepresentation, or falsification of income information.
Credit History: We obtain a credit report from each applicant. Our credit reporting agency evaluates credit (which may include rent payment history) as an indicator of future rent payment performance. An unsatisfactory or insufficient finding will result in the requirement of an additional deposit, guarantor, or denial. Applicants are responsible for ensuring their credit history is accurate. A credit score higher than 600 is required to be qualified. If a credit score is lower than 600, an additional security deposit would be considered on a case-by-case basis, in order to qualify.
Credit History Criteria Example:
Requirement: At least 2 accounts established for 1 year and in good standing
• Derogatory credit history (past due accounts, collections, judgments, tax liens, charge off - excluding medical debt) in excess of $500 may result in an increased deposit or cosigner requirement.
• Past due or foreclosed mortgage may result in an increased deposit or cosigner requirement.
• Discharged bankruptcy may result in an increased deposit or cosigner requirement.
• Paid rental collection and/or judgment will result in increased deposit or cosigner requirement.
• Final recommendation may also be dependent on income, rental & employment history.
• Open or prior bankruptcy.
• Unverifiable, false, incomplete, or misleading information.
• Unpaid collection accounts or judgment.
Guarantors: If a Guarantor is needed, they must meet the entire qualifying criteria as presented above. All Guarantors must have a variable source of income in an amount not less than 4 times the rental rate.
Qualified Occupant: If there is a person age 18 or older who will reside in the apartment home that person will need to qualify as an occupant. In order to qualify someone as a Qualified Occupant you must fill out the application, and the occupant must be approved through our regular criminal background check process. The Lessee(s) will be responsible for ensuring that the occupant complies with all community rules and requirements in the lease documents, but the Qualified Occupant will not be financially obligated to pay rent or other amounts due under the lease agreement.
Public Records Criteria Example:
• Eviction and criminal records searches will be conducted.
• Criminal search includes felony and misdemeanor offenses that constitute serious crimes. (See below)
• Verified (unpaid) eviction.
• Failure to disclose eviction or criminal records.
• Verified name and date of birth match on criminal conviction for the following offenses (disclosed or not):
• Management will screen for convictions of the following crimes and for sustainably similar offenses: Murder, Manslaughter, Assault, Robbery, Rape, Child Molestation, Rape of a Child, Fraud, Trespass, Kidnapping, Theft/Identity Theft, Burglary, Malicious Mischief, Arson, Manufacturing, Delivery, or Sale of a Controlled Substance, Possession with Intent to Deliver of a Controlled Substance, Lewd Conduct, Vehicle Prowling, Current Sex Offender Registration Requirement.
Occupancy: The current following occupancy standards apply based on two people per bedroom; One-Bedroom/Studio – Two People, Two-Bedroom – Four People, and Three-Bedroom – Six People.
Pet Policy: The following breeds, but not limited to, are restricted from our communities; Pit Bull/Pit Bull mix, Doberman Pinscher, Bull Mastiff/Mastiff, Wolf/Wolf Dog mix, Akitas, Presa Canarias, American Staffordshire Terrier/Staffordshire Bull Terrier, Chow Chow, Rottweiler, Alaskan Malamute. Additional pet and breed restrictions may apply to this community. If you have pets, please see your leasing representative for more information. These restrictions and deposit requirements do not apply to qualified assistance animals. All pets must be over 1 year at the time of move-in. To ensure the safety of our animal friends, the tenant MUST register the pet(s) with Petscreening.com to verify medical history prior to move-in. There is a non-refundable pet fee of $400 for 1 pet and $200 for an additional pet. There is a maximum of 2 pets per apartment. Pet rent is $25 per month per pet.
Renter’s Insurance Requirement: You are required to carry a minimum of $100,000 Personal Liability Insurance coverage. To satisfy this requirement, you must provide evidence of insurance coverage within 14 days of lease signing and maintain this coverage throughout the entire term of your residency. In addition, we may require that you add our community as an “Interested Party”, “Party of Interest”, or similar language. Your lease will have additional details about the insurance requirements.
Fair Housing Statement: Brumback Inc. and its subsidiaries are committed to compliance with all Federal, State, and local Fair Housing laws. Brumback Inc. and its subsidiaries will not discriminate against any person because of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, familial status, disability, or any other specific classes protected by applicable laws. Brumback Inc. and its subsidiaries will allow any reasonable accommodation or reasonable modification based upon a disability-related need. The person requesting any reasonable modification may be responsible for the related expense.
Rental Rates and Lease Terms: Original rental rate quotes will be honored for 2 business days. The rental rate quote is associated with the apartment home’s availability at the time of your quote, the move-in date, and the lease term requested. Any changes to the time of the quote, your move-in date, or lease term may require a revised rental rate quote which may result in a different monthly rental rate.
Falsification of Application: Any false statements or false information included in an application may result in denial of the application.
Consumer Reporting Agencies: AppFolio is the application screening provider for Brumback Inc. and retrieves public records and rental history records.
Updated: May 2023